08 October 2015

The list is short, but...

I am a list-maker: to do lists, grocery lists, goal lists, reminders... I have a Word Doc with a list of things that have altered my life in negative ways during the course of this year. I look at each item, pray/meditate about it, and hope that this ritual alleviates my anxiety and lessens the power each item has over me. In a separate Doc, I have a list of blessings. Some items from the former list end up copied-and-pasted into the list of blessings.

I do this to remember and learn. There are people in my life who have tried to hurt me and take things that are important to me away. It's as if they want to be on the list of things that are obstacles and burdens. And maybe they do end up on that list.

But then, one day, they end up on my list of blessings. All of the bullies, and abusers, and all of the "well-meaning" people who've told me to not follow my dreams, that I wouldn't be successful -- all of them, along with those who have told me to stop being kind, to stop being me... I overcome these obstacles. I overcome these adversities. I jump over all these people as if they were actual hurdles, and I am the athlete wanting that gold medal. That gold medal is the right for me to be me. That medal is the right for me to teach. That medal is the right for me to spread kindness.

Don't ever, ever stand in my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment