17 September 2009

Dreams of the Yellow House

      Right now     I
cover         your mouth
knowing
you can breathe
   through your
nose.

Right now
your       eyes are blue. Right
now    your eyes    are green.
   When      the sun is the
  color of ash you will
        remember.

Your     front tooth is broken.
You swallowed
    part     of it when it
cracked. The only        thing I
   remember      is your
        father smack
ing     your mother
inside the yellow      house.

      I re
member       your father's frame,
muscles    like rock,
      bones    like knives.
Right    now
I am

unclenching my
    fist    for the fir
st time.     Right    now you
are laugh
ing      at me,
your    wolf    mouth    waiting.

    With one    crack,
your   nose is broken. I
   cover    your   mouth again.
   This time          you will remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment